Monday, June 30, 2014

SOAKING UP THE SUN AND HAVING FUN!

Sitting here at the beach surrounded by the sounds of the young ones screaming in delight over the ocean waves and the sea gulls dive bombing them as they throw the bits of bread up in the air, I realize that as much as I love the community that I live in, I miss the joyous noise of the youth.  

I am reminded about a conversation I had once with Uncle Bob and Uncle Ed (my husband’s uncles) and we talked about why they don’t like attending senior-type activities or hanging around with just seniors.  

“You never get off the subject of how someone’s poop is doing,” said Uncle Ed.  

“Yes, and all they seem to be able to talk about is what pills they are taking and why”, chimed in Uncle Bob.  “Besides,” Uncle Bob continued, “when you hang around old people you act old, and when you hang around young people, you act young.”

I felt that today.  It is not that I’m running up and down the beach like I am an 8 year old.  It is the energy that one feeds off of when one hangs around these young people. It is both exhilarating and exhausting at the same time.

Am I tired at the end of the day?  You bet.  Do I sleep soundly?  Double bet!  But I love the laughter, silliness, and the pure joy of just being in the moment. 

So far at the sea, we have experienced some firsts.  My son, digging in the sand with the kids, dug up a conch shell and it was still alive.  I had never seen one of those before except in seaside gift shops.  Then four of the adults went up in a para sail and had a blast.  When the rest of the guys get down here we hope to do it again…at least those who didn’t go will go, we cannot avoid their enthusiasm for the event and want some of that good stuff for ourselves!

I am looking forward to the rest of the week, being surrounded by the energy of the young ones, crashing into bed at night with the pure exhaustion from the happiness experienced of spending time with the family at the seashore.  Life does not get any better than this!


PS:  So far we have not lost anyone anywhere….but the week is young!

No comments:

Post a Comment