Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I AM ONE LUCKY LADY!

A lot has happened in the week since my hot air balloon ride.  To start, I escaped a serious car accident, spent 3 days with an incredible group of ladies at Sea Isle, created art with Flo, an amazing art teacher and friend, and went to a sweet 16 birthday party for my twin grandchildren.

All in all, I am one lucky woman!  On my way to Sea Isle, driving my convertible 65-70 mph on an 8 lane highway, I was suddenly filled with the thought that I should pull over, put my convertible top up as I didn’t feel safe on a highway filled with many trucks and thoughts of something flying up and hitting me in the head.  At the moment these thoughts filled me, I suddenly was looking at a black mass of tire retread from the tractor trailer that was up ahead and to my right.  With no time to react to the first hit, all I could do was take the punch from the black mass and hope for the best.  I was lucky in that it hit me square in the center bumper of the car, slapping it hard, cracking the bumper in half and snapping the underside engine protector.  

Immediately another small piece broke up and tumbled over me as I ducked into the steering wheel, tapping the gas to push me hopefully past it before it landed on my head, only to have it land in the back seat of my car.

As I glanced into the rear view mirror, I noticed all the cars behind me had backed down enough to allow me to get over to the shoulder of the road.  A man in a pick-up truck pulled in behind me to check if I was okay.

“Shook up”, I said, “but okay.”

“In case you don’t know it,” he responded, “you are one lucky woman.  I thought you were going to bite it.”

I didn’t have time to think that, except I did find myself saying, “I hope my kids all know how much I love them.”

I sat for a minute while the kind gentlemen walked around my car to check for damage.  

“You should be able to drive,” he said.  

“I have AAA so if I have a problem I can call them, “ I replied and thanked him very much for his time and thoughtful stop.

I started out and felt no issues with the car so I continued on to Sea Isle.  


Feeling grateful and very very lucky, I spent the next three days with four very grand ladies who can only be described as young at heart.    

No comments:

Post a Comment