Tuesday, July 1, 2014

THE THINGS I SEE AT THE SHORE!

I see this week in hanging out with the kids that aging does have its perks.  I provided the setting for us all to come together.  I even supplied many of the basic needs, but in asking everyone to provide one meal a night has made my existence here seem too easy at times.  

I’m sitting back and watching the people in charge of the meal do their  thing and I get to visit.  Of course with a gang this large there are those pick up times but that seems easy in comparison to how I remember life as a mother of four and whatever friends they had hanging around.

I am not the type of person that feels the need to have her hands in everything that goes on.  I keep an eye on the care given the surroundings but outside of that I feel like I am floating this week.  What a joy.  Sitting by the seaside, smelling the ocean, listening to the waves beat up against the shore is pure heaven.  Even the threat of Tropical Storm Arthur is not upsetting me.  We may lose the opportunity to see the fireworks if it stays on through the night, but I have always wanted to be near the ocean during a storm to feel and see the power of the waves.  Another thing on my bucket list.  So no matter what happens…fireworks…storm…it will be pure joy to me!

The real fun for me is sitting on the front porch and watching the people head on down to the beach.  All shapes, sizes and walking styles.  Today I watched a good looking gray haired man—but he knew it—strut his stuff.  A gold necklace pulling your eye to a chest full of hair, and a copper tone tan that let you know he is no stranger to the beach.  He stands on the board walk, spots a beautiful set of blond twins coming down the boardwalk, so he pauses, puts his one leg up and stretches, showing how far his legs go up in a suit that is made more for a teen than a old man, even one with a descent body!  The girls go by, and he makes a point to watch them and then turn to see if they are looking back at him.  I about busted my gut laughing.

Last night, while spending the evening porch sitting and watching the boardwalk stroll, I noticed a young women stop under the light post, but due to my aging eyes could not quite make out what she was doing.  Turning to the kids I asked, “Can you make out what she is doing?”  To our amazement as we watched her pull her pants up while standing up we realized she just dropped and peed on the boardwalk.  Not believing what we saw, the guys ran up to check the spot where she was and shouted back to us on the porch, “Yep, there is a wet spot!”  Another great laugh!

We watched a man get a ticket for parking in the “do not park beyond this point spot”, a woman in a van back right into the fire hydrant, and the hunt for parking spaces during peak beach time is pure sport.

Yep, I’m having a great time.  I’m glad I am here!


No comments:

Post a Comment