Monday, June 9, 2014

THE RIDE OF MY LIFE!

Talk is cheap.  It is when you talk a good game, but don’t act out on it.  I always talked about how I wanted to experience a hot air balloon ride.  We once lived in Quakertown, next to the Quakertown airport, and the hot air balloons would take off regularly and fly over our yard.  Each and every time, even when our dog would drag me across our lawn in reaction to the swish of the flame as it ascended high into the sky, I loved it!

The kids and I would sometimes travel through the woods to watch them inflate and take off, one at a time, in a glorious display of color and excitement.  Yep, I wanted to go up.  BUT—I was afraid.  The height you know.  I’ve stood on the edge of tall buildings and felt my legs get weak and the stomach churn.

So came Christmas, and my daughter blessed me with a gift of a hot air balloon ride.  All at once I was thrilled and scared at the same time.  I mean have you seen a gondola?  It is only waist high!  There are no parachutes if you get in trouble and now and then you hear of a tragedy that gives one pause before undertaking such an adventure.

So here it is, Spring and I kept looking at the ticket for my ride.  I decided it was now or never.  I picked up the phone, called and made arrangements.  My first scheduled time was Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m.  I got a phone call the day before to cancel due to a tear in the balloon.  

“That’s a good idea,” I said.  

Another call later to invite me for a Sunday, 6:00 p.m. ride.  “Meet us at Holicong Park,” said Neil the chase captain.  

It was on.  Oh boy, I hope I don’t embarrass myself by getting sick or turning chicken, I thought.  

My daughter followed me over to the site and we met the team, Pilot Tony, and a couple who like me, had never been in a balloon before.

As Tony stood there, giving us instructions on what to expect and what to do, we listened intently with nervous anticipation.

“The landing,” he said, “can be a bit tough.  Sometimes we may bounce, hit a couple of tree tops, and even tip on our side, but just follow my instructions and you’ll be alright. Just before we land,” he continued, “bend your knees to allow for cushion in the landing.  To not do that could cause you to experience a broken ankle or leg.” 

So taking off is a breeze and landing a challenge.  Okay, I thought, let’s go with it!

We walked over to the balloon where it was being laid out and readied to be filled with air.  As it blew up the knots in my stomach grew tighter and tighter…what happens if I can’t get my legs over the basket.  There is no door to get in.  You have to lift your leg high as the back of a chair and climb in.  No stepping stool, no ladder, just me lifting this leg over the basket and hoisting myself in.  “God, I wish I were in better shape,” I thought.  This is going to be a disaster.  I am going to embarrass myself by not being able to get into the balloon.  Oh well, it was a nice try I thought laughing my nervous laugh.

The fan began to blow the air and with surprising speed the balloon began to take shape.  Soon the pilot was on his knees in the basket with the flame heating the air, lifting the balloon to an upright position.  The pilot turned to us and said, okay, get in as quick as you can.  I went first.  I put my foot in the slot on the side, pulled myself up, and got the first leg in the basket.  My other leg though needed help.  With a tug and a helping hand they lifted my leg over and I was in.  

Oh my God, I thought…this is it.  The wide grin on my face concealed the fear of anticipation that enveloped me.  Soon all three of us were in the gondola and the pilot began pulsing the flame to heat the air in the balloon.  And before I could change my mind we were rising up into the air.

“Look to your left”, the pilot said, “and you can see the skyline of Philadelphia.  The awe and wonder that filled that moment settled me right down and the fear left me as quickly as we rose the 800 feet up into the air.  

The perspective of looking down over the beautiful landscape that is Bucks County, was breathtaking.  There are few words that can describe the view or the feeling that surrounded me.  The ride was without fear the moment we left the ground.  The beauty of the landscape will forever fill me as my memory of this day lives inside me.  If you have not gone up in one…do it.  It was a thrill and something I would do again in a flash.


Thank you Joliene for the ride of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment