Tuesday, June 24, 2014

WONDERING ABOUT WANDERING

I have a high school classmate of mine that is traveling the four corners of the US on motorcycle by himself.  I am impressed by his journey and the people he has met.  He has stopped to visit family, friends, and old classmates like myself along the way.  

It has me thinking, about how I would enjoy a driving trip across the US.  I have not seen the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon, the North West or New England, places I very much want to experience firsthand.  The problem is traveling alone.  My kids have shared concerns about the idea of me being alone on the road.  I read my classmates blog (http://www.john-lomax.blogspot.com/?m=1) and wonder about the differences between a man and a woman in their spirit of adventure.

I mean, he would of liked to have had travel partners, but did not stop when he realized it was only going to be him.  So I ask, why does it appear more comfortable for a man than a woman to travel alone?  

I have checked out travel sites for women traveling alone, but they are women, signing up for a tour group and that is not the same thing as being out there all by yourself, following your nose.

One of the greatest pleasures I had as a young women, was my three day vacations when I worked for the Navy.  I would get up on a Friday, using a spinner, spin to pick out a direction, and then plan a trip heading out to wherever eight hours of driving would take me.  I then found a place to stay, and the next day would explore the area and return home that Sunday.  It was the some of the best experiences of my life!

My last blog brought out a suggestion from a distinct cousin’s of my husband, that I think about an RV.  He said he and his wife have been doing this for four years now and have met some great people and made friends with many of them.

Now there is an adventure…blogging my way across America as an old person!  Ummm…thinking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment