Friday, July 11, 2014

SOME DAYS ARE JUST HARD

As I read other stories of those who lost their partners in life, I see a common theme.  Adjusting to living alone and finding a new purpose in living.  I keep pushing to make both happen but there are days when it is just hard.  The following two poems just emptied out of me.  I have learned through my years if I allow expression to my feelings, the junk gets cleared and I can move on.  So I'm going for it!

RAMBLING THOUGHTS OF A WIDOWS HEART

Ears ring with silence
thoughts dance through my head
broken scrambled reaching longing
allowing thoughts to fill me
searching for purpose
for connection
for life

Being alone has its moments
creative energy flows
fills me
then the loneliness—no one to share things with
and the silence once again roars in my head

We are not meant to be alone 
to stand outside and look in
we are a tribe 
we need to belong
to feel
to touch
to hug
to be part of something

I walk along the river and watch others
stroll too
I see hands being held
and I think of you
we never took many steps 
without reaching out to each other

Connected
Loved
Accepted
Purpose

I long for these feelings to come to me again
but I wonder if ever.

Once again I keep moving
facing forks in the road.
fighting hard to not give up
working on enjoying the day
taking steps to go out and play 
I am…

I am what?  

I am…me.

**************

ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER


What am I…who am I…
An old women, whose life has been lived
yet days remain and what do I give?

I don’t want to intrude, to be a pest or a bore
I just want to belong
Nothing much…nothing more

If I have something to share
there is no one to call
no one who cares
just me and the wall

Do I shout to the world
hey look at me
do I stand meekly by
hoping you see.

I try hard to be helpful
I work to be kind
but in the end it is me
that lives alone in my mind

I don’t want to hide 
from the world I enjoy
I will just keep moving 
until someone I find
that will friend me and like me
and think of me as kind

I hope you’ll see through my mask
that I ‘m tender and loving
as we are on this journey—those of us who live alone
you would think we could find each other
and end this world of loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment