Monday, June 1, 2015

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!



Jimmy Johnson's 10th Career Win at Dover!
Ever since Pat passed away I would shout out to the universe that I would buy the tickets if anyone was interested in attending an NASCAR race with me.  This year, my youngest son and his family gave me the trip as my birthday present.  We went to Dover yesterday and watched Jimmy Johnson win for the 10th time in his career at Dover!  If there was a first-time track to attend, I must say, this sure was a good choice!

The noise was incredible—thank God for earphones!  The body vibrations that were felt as 43 cars went flying by was unbelievable.  Watching seasoned fans was pure comedy!  

It was hot, but it could have been hotter!  Although we sat in the sun, a regular coating of sunscreen and hats kept us from getting burned.  By the end of the day, I did feel somewhat like a baked potato covered in grease and the shower I jumped into when I got home was refreshing!

I want to say something about my two young grandchildren who attended the race with me.  They were 6 and 9.  Although about half way through the race they began to ask about when they could go home, they were beyond wonderful at allowing the adults around them to enjoy the day.  They were so good that even another attendee of the race, seeing them seek refuge from the sun under the bleachers bought them ice cream.  As he handed the ice cream to Kelly, he just tipped his hat and walked away!  A sweet pay-it-forward moment!

Attending the race provided many entertaining opportunities.  From the skywriting planes to the parachute jumpers, to the fireworks and the entertainment….the day was filled with head-turning events and we didn’t even see it all!

Watching the seasoned fans provided its own share of funny entertaining memories.  There was the guy whose arms were burnt from the elbow down making the whiteness of his elbows up appear in stark contrast.  As we walked by he was lathering up the red part of his arms but exposing his chest and upper arms to the sun telling his buddies this would allow his burn to even out!  By the end of the day, I wondered if the exposed sunburned beer bellies or the hangovers would cause more pain!

There was the typical fan crazed moments of booing and screaming even though the noise level in the stands only allowed for the wild body animation of movement to interpret the moment!  Decked out in fan shirts, hats and pins, the stands were alive with energy and enthusiasm.  I loved it all!


Thank you, Aaron, Kelly, Scott, Hayden and Ella for giving me another wonderful moment to treasure in my lifetime of memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment