Friday, May 22, 2015

BUTTER VS BUTTER

THIS?

 I am not myself lately.  The last 48 hours have brought to me a small medical issue.  Nothing to take me down but just make me goofy….you know what I mean.  You are okay, but maybe just not thinking as clearly as you normally do.  Then for some (like my kids) that could be a hot topic of debate—thinking clearly that is!

Anyway, yesterday as I was returning home from a blood test, I decided to not go to the regular grocery store but instead headed to None Such, a local farmers market close to my home.  It would allow me to get in, get out and head home where I really just wanted to hole up, read a good book, and listen to some music to soothe my soul.

NOPE, THIS!
Armed with a grocery list my daughter gave me, I went and began to shop.  On the list was “almond butter.”  Something we have all the time.  But for whatever reason, in my brain, I am thinking “butter” like from the cows.  So I begin to search.  The cooler, the freezer, the gourmet section.  I go from one end of this place to the other.  Do you think I can find this almond butter?  Nope.  So I resort to asking the sweet person shelving goods, 

“Excuse me,” I begin.  “Do you know if you have any almond butter in the house?  I have searched the coolers where there are all kinds of butter, but I can’t find the almond butter.”

She pauses, puzzling my question, “Let me check.”

We walk to the cooler and now both of us are searching.  We walk around to the frozen gourmet section thinking that it might be rare and to keep fresh it might be there.  Nope, it wasn’t there.  I followed her around back to the refrigeration section one more time when I turned to the shelf behind us and saw…Almond Butter…next to the peanut butter.

“Oh my God,” I said.  “I can’t believe my stupidity!”

“Oh don’t feel bad,” she said.  “I was along for the ride with you!”

“I don’t mind sharing stupid,” I said laughing, “makes me feel like I am not alone!”

Both laughing now, I thanked her, we hugged and went on our way.

It is times like these that I examine if it is my age or my momentary bout of sickness that brought me here.  God, I hope it is the second reason.  I have too long to go to lose my mind at this point!  


I’m going now…you’ll find me on the back deck, feet up, book in hand, music and the birds entertaining me, waiting for my clear-headed thinking to return!  

No comments:

Post a Comment