Monday, June 8, 2015

SEEING LIFE THROUGH MY GRANDCHILDREN'S EYES

Northwestern Lehigh High School Class of 2015
My second grandchild graduated high school this past Saturday.  High School!!  I remember my own children graduating high school…hell, I remember graduating high school.  Funny how through the lives of our children and grandchildren we see how fast life passes by.  

As I sat surrounded by a thousand other grandmothers, grandfathers, parents, uncles, aunts, brothers and sisters, celebrating each graduate, I remembered the day Dani came home carried by an adoring father and mother.  Her sister, Britney waiting anxiously to hold her baby sister, all instantly becoming Dani’s adoration society.  

Because my son served his country for 20 years in the military, Britney and Dani, grew up in leaps and bounds before us.  Large chunks of time away from us as they lived in various military bases provided a distance both physically and emotionally.  

As I am in the winter of my life and look back through the eyes and activities of my children and grandchildren, I find it hard to absorb all that life has presented to me.  But more importantly how I feel today often surprises me.  My body may be that of a 68-year-old women, but my mind is still that young mother, raising her kids, worrying about their comings and goings, and keeping busy making time appear to fly by even faster.


I have few regrets in my adult life.  I have enjoyed most every minute of it and the time and energy I have spent being a mother and grandmother have fulfilled me in more ways than I can count.  And the joy that comes, when seeing life through the eyes of my grandchildren is indescribable as they are a living reminder of the wonderful life that I have been lucky enough to have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment