Sunday, October 5, 2014

LIVING LIFE LOVING UNCONDITIONALLY

Beth, Michael, Marlene, John, and Lucyann
Spending these past few days with my sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and their friend, Dee, has been wonderful for me.  I love the life that Lucy and John lead.  They recently retired. Their days start out at the local farmer’s market.  In the afternoon, we plan a meal, chop the vegetables and begin the process of preparing the days food.  Hanging around the kitchen, drinking wine, laughing, sharing, and reminiscing are great fun.  Taking time out to watch the sunset and then back to the kitchen to put the final touches on the evening meal seal the day.  Before we know it, the night is over, our stomachs ache from the laughing, and it is time to head to bed.

To be with people that love you just the way you are is a wonderful thing.  Accepting each one’s idiosyncrasies is such a joy and more often just gives more fuel for a good laugh.  

The family I married into is a great example of how to live life.  From the first time I stepped into their front door I was greeted with love and friendship.  There has not been one day in the family that a fight occurred.  Now we are all not perfect, but they absolutely unconditionally love each other.  No jealousy about how much this one or that one has, only a celebration of each one’s success.  When the family would get together, even when distance and time separated us, a stranger would think we were together all the time by the joy and fun we would have.   

They have been a group that not only embraced each other, but outside friends too.  Few holidays are remembered without a friend or two joining the family.

I love the influence that being a “Ford” has done to my life and that of my kids.  I am sad to say that in my family, a family reunion often meant ducking beer bottles and hiding under a table to be safe.  I eventually came to a point where I could accept my family for who they were and tell the stories of life as a child without tears.  They were what they were.  But I feel so lucky to have become a part of this family who taught me how to live and love unconditionally.  


I will be sad to have to say good-bye to my sweet family and friends.  But I know I’ll always be welcome to return whenever I want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment