Monday, May 19, 2014

OH THOSE KIDS

There is one comment that I hear too often that drives me crazy and that is when people comment about how bad kids are today.  I don’t believe for a second that they are any different from when I grew up.  They are just kids trying out the world and it’s consequences, just as we did. The truth for me is that I have observed through the programs from my grandchildren how incredible the young people are today!

Yesterday, I had the privilege to attend a poetry reading hosted by the Bucks County Poet Laureate Society.  They held the annual High School Poet of the year event and my granddaughter, Honor, was a finalist. I was spellbound by the talent of these young people.  Their passion, wisdom, and understanding of the human spirit was wise beyond their age.  

I have witnessed over and over, the talent that lies within the schools of today.  A $10.00 ticket to a show at the school is as thrilling to me as spending $50.00 to $100.00 for a professional performance.  Aida, performed at CB East this year was phenomenal.  In my school days we might have had one great voice in the choir that would do the standout performance on stage.  What I heard in the production of Aida, was any of the performers on that high school stage could have been a lead.  Their voices were outstanding and they carried themselves on that stage as wonderful as I had ever seen.


I make a suggestion to anyone who believes that kids today are not worthy of their admiration.  Turn off the news and go find a kid and get to know them.  I think you’ll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment