Friday, May 16, 2014

CHALLENGES

I have joined a writing group and the challenge over the next 30 days is to write something every day.  

Something.

Boy that was easy!  I just wrote “something.”  I’m being silly here, but the truth is you cannot write unless you start with a word.  And then another and another.  Just as in life, when you have to put one foot in front of another, facing the challenges of the moment can, let’s say, be challenging!

Take aging for instance.  I saw a sign once that read, “aging is not for cowards.”  Just when you find yourself needing the most help, you often find yourself being the most alone.  The one thing that helps me get through these challenges, is humor. I am good at laughing.  I can laugh at myself louder than anyone else I know.  I have found this to be good—at least for me.  

Laughing at stressful situations may not be the greatest thing to do at times.  I remember once when Pat and I had a flood in our basement, I sat on the stairs looking down at the water, watching Pat struggle with trying to figure out why water was building up, laughing and telling him we should stock the basement with fish or how lucky that we have an indoor swimming pool.  A few minutes of listening to me trying to crack jokes, caused Pat to chase me up the stairs.  

I live these moments believing that at some point we will laugh at the absurdity of the moment and I am just getting a head start.  I once had a boss, when hearing me laughing in the office, would call me in and ask if everything was alright.  


Alright it is…peachy keen as I say.  Challenges?  A piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment