Friday, September 1, 2017

SO LONG DEAR FRIEND...UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN

Lake Wallenpaupack Dam
Standing on the deck's edge I take my last look out over the valley and Lake Wallenpaupack as I prepare to say goodbye to a dear friend and a boatload of memories.  Times like this remind me how fleeting time is.  I stand and try to sear in my minds eye the view but know that the moment I close my eyes or turn my back it will be but a memory that with time will be harder to recall. 

With Audrey leaving for her new home in Door County, Wisconsin this October, there will be no call for me to return to this area.  No reason to drive down the road and pass a memory of my own with Pat and the kids camping at Willson Camp grounds, or fishing and getting the worst sunburn of my life while falling asleep in the back end of the boat while Pat fished in the front end on Fairview Lake.  

Yes, saying goodbye is a bittersweet moment.  Aging can make these moments feel tougher.  In our youth, we thought nothing of turning our back on where we stood and move on.  The change came easy for the most part because we were making it happen and replacing it with some new adventure, place or friend.  Aging does not allow for such quick replacements.  It takes time and good health, often both of these are elusive to an old person.

This makes me feel lucky.  As change is big on my plate these days with selling my home and basically living homeless until the completion of my new livings space, I am recognizing the importance of being flexible.  Living out of a suitcase for over 3 months will help you understand that.  Living in another person’s home will slam that fact in your face quickly.  I found I am either doing something (like traveling or visiting friends) or doing NOTHING…which after awhile gets to me.  So, to keep myself grounded and moving forward I have been lucky in finding a friend who likes to travel as spontaneously as I do, so in between doing NOTHING I have been traveling and building a new friendship which has been a joy!


Until we meet again Audrey, I say farewell and safe journey to your new home.  I will cherish the times we have spent together and look forward to traveling again to Door County and the Coyote Roadhouse for their delicious Pot Pie!

1 comment:

  1. I find your blog uplifting, joyous! Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts regarding facing the loneliness of being a widow, and the challenge of choosing to live the life we have as gift.
    Cait

    ReplyDelete