Monday, June 12, 2017

GOODBYE BUCKINGHAM SPRINGS

I stood in the driveway and found myself filling with tears saying goodbye to 14 years of time spent at The Village of Buckingham Springs.  You were not my happy place. One of my son’s said to me that he didn’t enjoy coming to visit me because he only knew his Dad sick here.  I got it then…I still get it.   No babies were born, no child took their first steps, no happy family milestones to celebrate.  When we first came to Buckingham Springs 14 years ago April, it was because Pat was sick.  I remember thinking as I walked in thru the front door that first time, “this will be Pat’s last home but not mine.”  So this day was not a surprise.  It was never a matter of “if” but “when”.  

That being said, the Buckingham Springs move was the best decision we made.  It is a community of caring people who when they realized what I was dealing with in taking care of Pat, reached out to me and offered their acts of kindness.  After Pat died, there were many that reached out and pulled me back into the living.  You dear neighbors and friends were the best I could have ever hoped for.  I made so many friends…I would name you all but I would be afraid I would forget someone.  

Although I said this was never my happy place, good things have happened to me while I lived here. I met the most amazing people, made many wonderful new friends, learned to paint under the direction of the most talented Flo Schadler, artist extraordinaire, traveled to some new places, wrote my book, "Wife to Widow to Single", which turned out to be great therapy, and  discovered my personal strength in living this new life as a single person while surrounded by people who seemed always ready to pick me up when I fell down.  People like Eileen Jefferies who seems to be an endless bountiful ball of energy despite her own trials, Linda Bowers who I watch with great curiosity in how to navigate this new world I found myself in after Pat died, Liz McLaughlin, whose kindness touched me forever in my most vulnerable moment, and Carol Betz, the best neighbor anyone could hope for are but a few who no matter what the future will hold for me, will always be carried in my heart.  

Dealing with changes is always a challenge.  But making them yourself instead of having them made for you is so much better.  I feel especially excited, if not nervous about what the future holds, but I made this decision for a number of good reasons.  Downsizing was just one of them.  It will allow me to have the freedom to travel more and do the things I want to do.  Being surrounded by “stuff” has never been important to me.  Spending time with those I love is my joy.  Memories of good times are what I want to carry with me through life.  

I could not be doing any of this without the help and support of my kids.  Their guidance during the ups and downs of selling was invaluable.  Their help in moving me out to a temporary situation knowing that by September will all have to be done again…doing it all with a sense joy and celebration has made it fun.  From my daughter who made room for me in her home until my apartment is ready to my older son and his wife who always gave me an ear when I needed it.  I owe immeasurable gratitude to my daughter-in-law and son who have torn their place apart making room for me and providing me my own private space. I know from all of them they wish only for me to be happy so their support and help in this transition are pure joy.  They make me count my blessings every day.

In the middle of all of this, I have met a new friend who has brought me great joy.  I don’t know what or where my decisions will take me, but I do know that I am filled with the energy and happiness that I have not experienced in many years. I am spending each day looking forward to the next adventure.  I owe all of this to those who surround me.  Because in the end, it is the happiness of knowing all of you and having you in my life that feeds this energy.  I may be moving out of Buckingham Springs, but I will carry the friendships from Buckingham Springs with me forever.  

Thank you to one and all!


2 comments:

  1. Sorry we never connected as neighbors but grateful we are Facebook friends. Please stay in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Marlene -Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights-they will be very helpful to many-Best Wishes as you move forward!

    ReplyDelete