Friday, July 10, 2015

IT ALL HAS TO END SOMETIME

It’s almost over.  My two weeks at the shore.  This elongated stay is a first for me and I have enjoyed every day!  The smell of the sea air, the sounds of the roaring waves, and the sand….well maybe the sand is not so much fun, but I honestly have enjoyed my time here.  The sense that the whole world is on vacation fills every moment allowing one to relax at will.  

I am not a sun-loving sand sitter, but I do love to walk the beach in the morning and at night.  It’s the sound, the smell and the feeling of being here that I love.  So many memories flood me—-especially remembering the first time Pat brought me to Ocean City, New Jersey.  I was born and raised in Illinois so there was Lake Michigan, but an ocean and a lake, no matter the size, cannot be compared.  

From the moment I drive across the causeway to the smell of the sea air, a smile, fills my soul and will not leave until I leave later this morning to return home.

A phenomena occurred while I was here…every time i have come to the ocean, I do what thousands of others do and go shell and stone searching.  Looking for the treasure mother nature offers up.  Especially conch shells.  Time and again I would come down and find no conch.  Last year, while the family was here, Lauren and Meredith found a couple of shells and the search became more intense.  No matter how many an early morning or evening walks I could find none.

Well, some secret door must have opened after my 6-year-old granddaughter, along with her Dad and other family members found 22 conches on the beach.  Every walk on the beach since that day has been a discovery of not just one conch, but many.  Yesterday during my 12,000 step walk I found many.  It was like they were jumping up and saying, “look…look…look, here I am!”  I guess, like anything else out in the universe, once you know what to look for, you see it all around you.


I return home, with a bounty of memories, a sense of renewal and energy to tackle whatever comes my way next.

No comments:

Post a Comment