Monday, January 26, 2015

GOOD-BYE SWEET FRIEND


1999 - 2015


I did not plan today to say good-bye to Chewie.  He was 16.  Blind, deaf, not eating, and seizures told me this day was coming.  Like any hard decision that has to be made, I procrastinated dealing with it until today when it became obvious I could not ignore the decision no more.

Chewie was the best little dog a person could have in their life.  He was with me through a lot of special and tough events in my life.  He watched over us, entertained us, cried for us and most important of all loved us…all.  

I’ll never forget the day Aaron showed up with him.  This little dog that fit in the palm of our hand, fell out the moving truck that Aaron drove home from New Mexico.  Small, deer-like in color and looks, he was a delight from the very beginning.  But oh how he loved Aaron.  When Aaron would come for a visit, Chewie would recognize the sound of his vehicle coming down the road and he would alert us to his arrival. Once inside he would plaster Aaron with doggie kisses.

Then my Dad moved in with us for the last 3 1/2 years of his life and during that time Chewie became Pop’s best bud.  Even when Hospice came in, Chewie would watch over what the nurses did while hanging out under Pop’s hospital bed.  Until the end, Chewie never left Pop’s room until the day he died.

Following the sun
Pat taught him to dance, sit, roll over and play dead.  During the 13 years of Pat’s illness Chewie kept us company, never abandoned us in need, and was always good for a cuddle and some laughs.  His seizures started before Pat’s death and I would say to Pat, “I don’t know which one of you is leaving me first…you or him.”  But Chewie hung in there.  He knew he had one more job to do before he could go... take care of me while I grieved the loss of Pat.  And take care of me he did.  That first year without Pat I was comforted by the company and love Chewie showed me.  I do not know what I would have done without him to look after…but I knew it was him looking out for me…at least until Joliene moved in and then he became her best bud.


I will miss you sweet friend.  Oh how I will miss you!

1 comment: