Sunday, August 24, 2014

R.I.P. DEAR RONNIE

”There is no normal life that is free of pain. It's the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth.”—Mr. Rogers

I lost a cousin this week.  I got word from my cousin Carol, that her brother was found dead by his family.  In this life of moving away from home and the people we grew up with, he was one that although there was limited contact, I always kept him in my heart close to me.

We were the same age.  As kids, we spent a lot of time together.  Both of us came from very dysfunctional backgrounds and there was a lot of bonding as we both tried to overcome the negative impact of our childhood.  At about 6 years old I even had a crush on him.  

It is funny, how someone is not part of your everyday, intimate life, yet once they leave this earth there is a hole where once a memory of them lived.  

I am thinking of the farm in Grayslake where my grandparents lived.  Ronnie and his family lived next door to Grandma and Grandpa Curnes in a rented house.  His parents had divorced by this time, and my Aunt Betty had remarried another man, and drinking and the the aftermath of drinking had become a negative part of life at those times.  So when visits to the farm came, Ronnie and I would explore the barn and the fields behind the barn.  The farm was owned by a man who owned the local pharmacy and he would use a corner of the property to dump old out of date items from the pharmacy.  A joy for two young children digging in the pile to see what treasures it would hold.

Ronnie always carried himself with such authority.  He grew up and became a car salesman which fit the personality of the person I knew as a young boy.  His direction in life, his determination to succeed, the confidence he displayed are qualities I will always remember.

I reached out to him later in life and tried to reconnect, but by this time his life had taken a down turn and he was ill and not very happy.  So the communication was brief.  It never stopped me from thinking of him from time to time and remembering the times we shared as children.


Rest in Peace dear cousin.  Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment