Monday, April 27, 2015

TIMING



Kathmandu before the Quake
March 2015 by Brian
Timing.  How many times in our life has it happened to us?  The right time in the right place.  Wrong time in the wrong place.  Timing is what I thought about as I followed the events in Nepal over the weekend.  Brian, a friend of our family, just returned from Nepal.  He posted some incredible pictures of his visit and as he tells me, “so many of the buildings and temples are now destroyed.”

Is it luck?  Our guardian angel?  Intuition?  What makes timing often play such an important part of our life.

Like many, I have experienced many timing events in my life.  One evening returning home from a company holiday party, Pat and I were driving home on Route 378, a 4 lane highway just north of Bethlehem.  Driving in a pack, I suddenly said to Pat, “hit your breaks”.  He responded by tapping the breaks causing us to remove ourselves out of the pack of cars enough that when suddenly, a car came flying across our two lanes from the other side, taking out the four cars ahead of us while we had enough space to get out of harms way by pulling up the side of hill.

“Why did you tell me to back off?” Pat asked as we sat there in shock at what we were seeing.

“I don’t know,” I remember saying, “I just became overwhelmed with fear and all I could do was ask you to pull back from the pack of cars.”

The greatest impact of timing for me came when, while volunteering at the American Legion in Fox Lake, Illinois, it was time to end the day, but I decided to wait and help make sure all the wounded military men were on the bus heading home.  It was that moment that I met the man who would become my best friend and husband of 45 years.  

Back to our young friend Brian and his trip to Nepal.  He has a request.  With his permission, I am including it here.

“I hope everyone I know will take a moment and consider donating to relief efforts for Nepal's earthquake.
We always think of these things as being so far away. However, less than four weeks ago I was trekking in Nepal and had a medical situation requiring a Medivac from the mountains. The person who was most instrumental to my immediate care, my guide Madan, and the person who coordinated my Medivac and hospital care, Prem, the company director, both lost homes in the disaster.
We live with so much more than many people in the worlds, including the infrastructure to be able to respond to natural disasters. Please give something to those with less and who today need the most. Just give to a legitimate charity…
Thanks,
Brian”




So I ask again, is it luck, a guardian angel, or intuition?  

No comments:

Post a Comment