Sunday, April 12, 2015

IT’S DOPPELGÄNGER SEASON!

It started a few weeks ago, when a neighbor who bowls in the same league I do, came up to me and asked me to sniff her neck.

Looking at me with that special glint in her eye, she says to me, “Go ahead, smell my neck.”

“Okay”, I said with surprise in my voice, “if you insist.”

“I smell like you,” she said with glee in her voice.

“No,” I slowly replied, “I don’t think so.”

Suddenly, with a look of shock, she steps back, starts laughing and says, “Oh my, you are not who I thought you were.”

“Okay”, I said and with that we both stepped away laughing and continued on with our bowling game.

A couple of weeks later another gal from our league came up to me and with a sweet look of satisfaction, placed a bag of yarn, with a sample of her handiwork included, in front of me with a look about her that told me I should know what this was all about.  I didn’t.  My puzzled face told her that I had no clue what she was doing this for.  

“You wanted to learn how to do this, didn’t you?” she asked.

“No,” I said.  “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

Then, she stepped back, looked me hard in the face and giggling with embarrassment, said, “Oh no, I thought you were someone else.”

We laughed together and went on about our business.

A couple of days later I went to the hospital for a blood test, and while sitting in the waiting room, an older women came up to me, grabbed me by my shoulders and with panic in her voice asked me what I was doing there.

“Getting blood work,” I replied.

“But why?  What is wrong?” she continued.

“Nothing I said,” I said, “Just routine.”

Then once again, this women stepped back and with a look of shock on her face said, “Oh my God, I thought you were my daughter. I swear  you look just like my daughter!”

With that, she asked if she could take a picture with me to show her family.  We had a good laugh about the whole thing and went on about our business.

My week ended with one more example of mistaken identity.  I was in New Hope getting ready to usher for the Bucks County Playhouse, when I decided to have dinner before the show.  Karla’s is one of my favorite eating establishment’s where the service is friendly and the customer’s can be fun in a chat.  My kind of place!   Sitting, enjoying a glass of wine while waiting for my salad to appear, a sweet gentlemen shows up at my table with a welcoming smile and said, “Hello, I didn’t know you come here to eat!  I hope you enjoy the meal?”

“Why yes, I come here often,” I said.  “I love it!”

“I am comping your wine,” he went on.  “Enjoy your dinner.”

“Thank you!”

And off he went.  When the waiter came by, I asked if he was the owner.  “No, he is the bartender”, he said.  

A few minutes later, a handwritten note came delivered by the waiter, letting me know he was “Ricky, the son of……”

I looked up and saw his huge smile, and I waved and he waved back.

Turning to the waiter I said, “I think he thinks I am someone else.”

After the meal, I went up to the bar and thanked him for making my day special, but that I believed he thinks I am someone else.

“Oh no, he said.  I just left you at my house.”

“No, I replied, it was not me.”

“You are not the nurse that was there caring for my ill mother?” he asked with surprise.

“No, I am not.”

With that, I offered to pay for my wine since it was a case of mistaken identity, but he declined, and we parted sharing a good laugh and a story to tell!


All of us have experienced this from both ends from time to time.  Either seeing someone who we thought we knew or being mistaken for someone else.  A phenomenon that we are fascinated by.  It is the number of incidences that are surprising me.  I believe I have entered the season of doppelgänger!  How else can all these incidences be explained in such a short span of time!  I just hope that my doppelgänger is out there having as much fun as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment